Thursday, June 17, 2010

HERO PROFILE #33: Superbarrio


Status: RETIRED

Operated out of: Mexico City

Activities: Starting in 1987, Superbarrio used his image for rallying people for political demonstrations, drawing attention to labor, housing, and immigration issues. He declared himself a candidate in the 1996 US presidential election, one of his platforms being to "abolish the border patrol and Drug Enforcement Agency" which he felt would “deal a blow to international drug trafficking.”

Street cred: It is reported that followers built a “giant lifelike replica” statue of him sometime around 1997. At the statue unveiling, the crowd chanted “You see him! You feel him! Superbarrio is here!”

Quote:"I opened my eyes and found myself as you see me with a voice telling me, 'You are Superbarrio.' I can't stop a plane or a train single-handed, but I can keep a family from being evicted."
Photobucket
Superbarrio leads a rally at the US/Mexico border at Ciudad Juarez
Photobucket
Superbarrio with political author/linguist/ philosopher Noam Chomsky

2 comments:

  1. I heard he's lost weight these days. Laying off the Superburritos. (I can't help myself)

    I grew up as a huge admirer of luchadors so I think it's awesome to have one within the community. This is a good, stand-up guy and I hope him all the best in his retirement. (Even though I heard he might be back)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard he was dead, but what do I know.

    ReplyDelete